In this two day workshop; stitch a 22.5 x 22.5 wallhanging filled with dancing black-eyed susans. Learn Ann's methods of design, fusing, applique and free motion embroidery. The class project is based on themes from Ann's prize winning quilts. The first day, we will make a patchwork background to create the perfect setting for the embroidered flowers and fuse the inner border, flowers, stems and leaves in place. The class will learn basic free-motion embroidery techniques, so the second day can focus on the flowers and how to embellish them with thread. The colors of the background and flowers can be changed to suit yourself! This will be fun.
Every student is responsible for understanding their sewing machine and how to adjust it. Some brands have computer menus that are difficult to navigate. You will need to know how to: raise and lower top tension; lower feed dogs; change stitch width; change stitch length; reduce pressure on the presser foot; know how to set your machine for free-motion work. Some Viking machines have a free-motion override setting, know how to find and activate it.
- $10.00 class fee for pattern
- Sewing Machine, with zigzag stitch and capable of lowering the feed dogs. Make sure it is cleaned and tuned up before class. Tell the service person that you will be doing free-motion work! There's nothing more frustrating than coming to class with a machine that can't handle the assignment!
- Sewing machine instruction manual
- Platform or table extender to increase the flat working surface area around the feed dogs and needle.
- Throat plate to accommodate a zigzag stitch
- Darning foot for your machine, extra bobbins
- Sewing machine needles, size 10 or 11 universal, size 12, 14 and 16 Schmetz or Superior Titanium topstitch needle.
- Bottle of silicone: Sewer's Aid is one brand name, optional
- Thread: bring regular sewing thread for piecing as well as at least one spool each of solid color and variegated rayon or polyester thread to match your chosen inner border flower, leaf color, and stems.
- Bobbin thread- monofilament or bobbin fill suggested by machine manufacturer . The Bottom Line, by Superior Threads is one brand.
- 1 yard paper backed fusible, Wonder Under preferred
- 1 yard tear away stabilizer, crisp and firm
- Machine embroidery hoop, 7 inch diameter, about $5 if you don't have one, email Ann
- 4 foot square minimum of white felt to hang on the wall, for design purposes. It may be pieced.
- 20 6x6-inch squares in a variety of red or your choice of background color. Combine solids, tone-on-tones, batik type fabric for background. Only 16 are needed, but bring a few extras so you have a choice when designing the background
- 1/4 yd piece of fabric at least 20" wide in contrast fabric for inner fused border
- 1-2 green fabrics, for stems and leaves. Scraps are OK, fabric for stems need to be 15 inches long
- 1-3 pieces of yellow fabric, 6' x 6" needed for each flower: yellow, gold and light orange for flowers. (You may bring another color for the flowers: red, rose, blue) bring 3 fabric choices in the color range. They must contrast with background squares
- Scrap of brown fabric for the flower centers; yellow if you have chosen a different color flower.
- Optional, SewSlip or Free-motion Slider (new cling type; no tape)
The instructor will have thread and top stitch needles available for purchase
Classroom Setup: Please provide a table and design wall for each student. One iron and ironing board for every 4 students. Please no more than 20 students. Two large tables for the instructor
Fee and Travel Information